Sunday, November 9, 2008

I walked my feet off today in Jerusalem. A little of the old and a little of the new. First was a visit to the mosque complex on the Temple Mount, in the heart of the Old City. Although I could not get into the mosques, I was able to get up to the Temple Mount promenade. The Dome of the Rock was restored by the King of Jordan in the 1950's and dominates the Jerusalem skyline. It occupies the same realestate that is believed to have been the location of the ancient Jewish Temples (1st and 2nd) - the Rock under the dome is believed to be the same rock upon which Abraham almost made a sacrifice of his son Issac.

After sauntering through the Jewish and Arab neighborhoods in the Old City, I headed West to the newer part of Jerusalem and the Jewish Museum/Shrine of the Book (which houses the Dead Sea Scrolls).

Tomorrow is more of a wind-down day, and I move into the hotel where all the bicyclists are gathering. My next post will probably be on or about Thursday.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Peter, Thanks for doing this blog, and I love this photo. Hope the ride is going well today. Bob